Tuesday, February 25, 2020

WhisperPhone

If you've followed me for any length of time, you know that my kids' "Silent Reading" time is sacred!  I have been teaching for 16 years and for all 16 years, I have allotted 30 minutes of silent reading aka read to self aka volume of reading (so many different buzz words for this) time.  This is an uninterrupted time where students read for pure enjoyment.  They select 6 books from the classroom library each Friday.  They keep them in their desks in a gallon Ziploc bag.  I do not level my library.  My library is sorted by theme, to help the kids look for books that interest them. 



During silent reading time, the expectation for the voice level is a "0 inch" or "3 inch (whisper)."  The kids are to be reading, looking at pictures, etc...and not talking to one another unless it's a whisper about the books they are reading.  They do a fantastic job of staying quiet during this time, and they look forward to this part of our day.  Rarely do I ever cut silent reading time, because of the value I see in it. 




I am collaborating with WhisperPhone for today's post.  If you aren't familiar, WhisperPhone is an acoustic feedback tool that creates a direct and clear auditory channel between a child's voice and ear.  It was designed to be used during reading, language, and role-playing activities.  It can be used independently, in small groups, or in partnerships.  Kids read into the phone and listen to themselves.  These are great for students struggling with phonemic awareness; the phones allow them to hear the sounds they are making.  It in turn helps with decoding and thus, helps build fluency. 


Recently, I received a class set of WhisperPhone devices.  I went with the "Element" model.  It doesn't require batteries and is dishwasher safe (praise!).  I love WhisperPhone because it encourages students to read quietly or whisper into it, which keeps the room quiet while I am meeting with my small groups.

I distributed the WhisperPhone devices to my students on Friday during silent reading time and they were THRILLED!  They had a blast reading into them and couldn't believe how well they could hear themselves read!  When I rang the clean-up bell, they begged for more time to read!  I am allowing my kids to keep their phones in their desks (WhisperPhone has zippered pouches--swoon!! that you can purchase to store the phones in if you choose) for the remainder of the year.  I know that these tools will be a treasured part of silent reading routine from here on out. 

I hope you'll take a moment to check out WhisperPhone!  There are several variations of the phone available, including the Element.  The Solo looks like a great hands-free tool and the Duet would be awesome during partner reading time!



Note: Some of the colors shown of the WhisperPhone Element that you see pictured are samples and not available for purchase. 





Happy Reading!
xo
Mrs. Wheeler




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!