Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Groundhog Day Fun!

Groundhog Day is a great way to do some super fun activities in the classroom!  The kids get so excited about Phil's decision!  Today I wanted to quickly share some ideas/activities with you that I have done in years past.

We always begin with a KWL or Schema chart to see what the kids know about groundhogs.  This is great for building background before launching into a unit of study.


We read a lot of books.  A few of my favorites are shown below.  I keep a bucket of Groundhog Day books out for my kids to look at throughout the week, too.





We always do a mini-book together.  We color it, search for sight words, and read it several times. The kids love taking these home and reading them to their families!  The mini-book is from my Groundhog Day pack.



During literacy centers, I like to include thematic activities for my kids.  ABC order and sentence scrambles are always favorites during centers.  Predictable and developmentally appropriate for my first graders.  These centers are from my Groundhog Day pack.



The listening center is also a favorite center.  The kids love this groundhog book!!  To get some free listening center pages, click HERE.


Here are a few Math tub activities in action.  This year I do not do Math tubs because I am still working my way through learning Go Math, our newly adopted Math curriculum.  These Math centers are from my Groundhog Day pack.



We love making this simple groundhog snack!  It's a Little Debbie Oatmeal Pie, white icing, white chocolate chips, and 2 Nilla Wafers.  I've also made groundhog cupcakes for my kids over the years.


This is a fun little writing page and then a cute topper.  The topper is free from First Grade Blue Skies.  The writing paper is from my Groundhog Day pack.


During Math, we like to make a groundhog number grid mystery picture!  You can get that for $1.00 HERE.

I'm having a sale on my Groundhog Day pack!  Snag it before the weekend and get your activities prepped for next week!  Click below!


Here's a freebie that also makes a great literacy center:


xo
Megan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!