Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Short a Activity Pack

We are in our 5th full week of school this week.  I can hardly believe it!  As I've mentioned in prior posts, I don't begin guided reading until near the end of the 1st quarter.  I like to give kids time to re-acclimate themselves with school before shuffling them around in groups.  I teach whole-group Phonics every day, all year.   I begin the year with beginning sounds and then move into the short vowels.  I incorporate the most frequent short vowel word families/patterns into my lessons.  We play games, read a poem, and do some slate {dry erase} activities throughout the week.  My block lasts 20-25 minutes.  The week after I've introduced a Phonics pattern or word family, I place an activity or two into literacy centers.  I like to have my students constantly reviewing skills they've already learned.  I think spiraling is super important, especially with grades k-2.  I created this little ditty for short a, and will be posting the other vowels this weekend.  It has some simple activities included that can be used for whole group instruction, centers, RTI, and/or early finishers.  Click the cover to take a peek!



xo
Megan 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!