Sunday, January 12, 2014

In My Opinion...

Hi!  I hope everyone is having a great weekend!  My weekend was busy but very fun!  On Friday, we hosted our staff's Christmas party.  We didn't have as big a turnout as usual but it was still a great time! I love leaving the decorations up through January!  Yesterday I finished up and posted my Reading Foundational Skills Quick Checks!  I was so happy to finish it.  Last night, we went out to dinner with some friends and today brunch with some other friends.  I have been finishing up report cards this afternoon.  I always look them over 900 times before saying, "I'm finished."  I have major anxiety about having blank spots where I missed a grade or something.  Does anyone else do this?!?!?!?!  Am I just crazy?

Anyways, onto today's post!  We returned to school Thursday {after winter break plus 3 snow days} and began a new unit for Writing Workshop!!!!  We dove right into opinion writing and it was a hit!  On Thursday, we began by looking at some fact and opinion posters and talking about what they mean.  Then, we did a sort together of facts and opinions.  On Friday, we did a graphic organizer together and wrote our own opinion piece together using the organizer's contents.  The kids loved it!  As we move into this week, we'll be doing one more together, and then the children will begin working on their own.   I always scaffold my writing lessons like this to ensure that everyone is clear on how each type of writing is completed.







Tomorrow, we'll do our opinion writing piece using the book shown below!  Can't wait!


If you'd like to check out my Opinion Writing pack or any of my other Writing Workshop packs, click the cover below!  They are all available for individual purchase or as a bundle to save you some cash!  My Opinion pack, as well as all others, is aligned with and supports the Common Core State Standards.



xo
Megan 

3 comments:

Mrs. Beattie's Classroom said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your bundle looks great! I'll be heading into reports in the next few weeks. I'm also pretty ridiculous about rereading and not missing any marks. Best of luck with them!

~Erin
Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

Cindy Calenti said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I really like the idea of having your staff Christmas party after the holidays when everyone is relaxed and has the time to enjoy it. Stay warm.

Cindy
Granny Goes to School

Kelly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It sounds like you jumped in with both feet after the break. We're making slow, hopefully steady progress in my room. I love how you broke down your writing assignments into doable chunks.
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!