Saturday, January 11, 2014

Making School-to-Home Connections

I teach in a Title I school.  I have taught my entire career there.  I love helping my students and building relationships with parents!   Most of our parents work a lot and are unable to come in and volunteer and/or spend time with their children while they are at school.  I understand this and try to find ways to bring school home to them.  One way that I do this is by encouraging games at home.  I like to send home Math game bags with students every so often.  The game bags have directions for a Math game and all the materials needed to play inside.  These are a HUGE hit with both parents and kids!  The kids are the experts {they have played these games in class first} and the parents love getting involved in this fun homework!  I store my cards in a little container and use ziplock bags with student names on them.  Each time I switch out a game, I just toss a direction card with the materials in.  Having the names on the zip lock's makes seeing who forgot to return theirs a breeze!





Another thing that I do is encourage parents to help their children practice sight words at home.  I do this by creating sight word pockets for my students that need extra practice.  This is a simple management system where I assess each child on their Fry's First 100 sight words and create individualized word pockets for them.  Just print the labels, slap them on index cards, and go!  The parents love this system because they know which words their child needs to practice.  I love it because it's all individualized!

This sight word fluency set has been on sale all week and will go off sale tomorrow night! 




xo
Megan 

4 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your ideas are perfection! I too have taught my entire career in a Title 1 school. Although it can be challenging, I am grateful for the impact we have. I can't wait to read more about your home-to-school connections and try them out with my families.

Marcy
Searching for Teacher Balance

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for sharing these wonderful products! My kids love taking home math games... I am going to take a closer look at your Fry Words pack. Thanks again!

Smiles,
Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for sharing! I also teach in a title 1 school and see how much the parents care and how difficult it is for many of them to get involved. These seem like great ways to do that and simple to implement. Your passion always inspires me.

Cindy Calenti said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the home/school connections you are making. They are so important! I keep reminding my college students of this every class and every semester!

Cindy
Granny Goes to School

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!