Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Week

This week we celebrated Cinco de Mayo in class!  We began by watching a United Streaming video about the Mexican culture (do you have United Streaming?).  I wish I had Brain Pop Jr. but money is tight these days!  Next, we worked on a mini-book from my Cinco de Mayo Mini Lit Pack.  We began learning our poem for the week, "Mr. Jalapeno Man!"  Have you seen it?  It was in last week's Teachers Pay Teachers newsletter as a freebie!  So cute!


Next, we learned some Spanish words! I have one student who speaks some Spanish.  The kids had fun putting the puzzles together and asking their friend how to say the words.


Then it was time to learn about Mexico's flag.  We painted our own flags.


It was finally time {Thursday} to make our little jalapeno men {and ladies!}!  The kids had seen my sample on my desk all week and were obsessing over him! We had all sorts of peppers!  I like curly stash on the one shown below!  And also the little pepper diva!  Who doesn't love a Walking Dead and zombie pepper?



For Math today, we did the maracas number grid puzzle by Lil Country Kindergarten.  I love her puzzles!  And we played Cinco de Mayo Bump from Froggie Went a Teachin.


We have also been reading lots of fun books: Cinco de Mayo: Rookie Reader, Chicks and Salsa, and Cinco de Mouse are a few!  Tomorrow we'll do some things from my freebie, shown below!  You can grab the mini-book and other fun goodies in the Cinco de Mayo pack below.





Happy Fifth of May!
xo
Megan 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!