Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving Happenings

2 more days until Thanksgiving break! Whew! I feel like it should be summer already with how hard I've been working this year.  Yikes!   I am looking forward to spending some time with my family and cashing in on some good black Friday deals.  What will you do over the break?

My first graders have begun working on Thanksgiving activities in class.  You have to start early, because let's face it: the 2 days prior are so hectic lord knows what you'll get to do.  Here are a few pictures of what we've been up to...

We did this little even and odd sort that I found on TpT.  It was a steal for just $1.85 and exactly what I wanted! Thanks, Kristin!

Today, we made these sweet turkeys...patterns and persuasive writing prompts included in my Thanksgiving writing pack, mentioned below! Didn't they turn out adorable!?




In reading group, my students played "Gobble, Gobble," a free short vowel blending game from Vickie Plant. They loved it and it made a great little informal assessment! Thanks, Vickie and congrats!



We also read "The Thankful Book" by Todd Parr and wrote "thankful notes" to one another.  The kids came up with the best things!  Loved them!






Click the cover to snag your own!


In the midst of all this Thanksgiving fun, I must add that we began our study of it with Colleen Patton's "Then and Now" activities.  I am obsessed with them.  I think this is my third year using her activities.  The kids are always so intrigued by how things used to be!

Discussion/journaling after playing "Scoot" with these old pictures
Trying to order desks from oldest to newest



5 comments:

Sarah said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those turkeys are really cute! We did What I'm thankful for turkeys. :) Do you do an arctic animal unit? If so, stop by my blog..I've uploaded my first unit in my TN store and 3 people will get a chance to check it out for free! :D

Sarah
teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

Mrs. Patton said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so glad you're still enjoying those activities! I'm sad that I've moved onto 3rd grade and don't teach Social Studies anymore. :(

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Colleen

~DeAnne~ said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your turkeys are so cute!! Thanks for the links to the other great products!! :)

ღDeAnne
First Grade and Fabulous

Jessica Lawler said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wonderful ideas! In my class we do a persuasive writing activity too where the students write letters to American families from the perspective of a turkey trying to persuade them not to eat him/her for Thanksgiving! The kids LOVE it - and their work is impressive.

I found you through the Friday Flashback linky party - and am so glad that I did! :)

~Jessica
Joy in the Journey

Amanda Madden said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Such cute Thanksgiving activities, Megan! So glad you linked up to share the fun with all of us. :) Only 2 more days for me, to....we can make it!!

Amanda
Teaching Maddeness

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!