Friday, March 18, 2016

5 for Friday 3.18.16

TGIF!  I don't know about you, but I have barely been able to keep my eyes open this week!  I've gone to bed before 8 two nights!  The time change has been killing me!  So glad it's Friday!  I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for another Five for Friday! 



Last weekend I went to French Lick Indiana for the annual Spring Teacher Blogger Meet-Up.  This was the second year I have gone.  I met some new friends that I've been following for years online, including Elizabeth Hall from Kickin it in Kindergarten!  Look for a full post about my trip this Sunday!


We started poetry this week!  This is by far one of my favorite units to teach.  I love using my best-selling poetry unit.  It was one of my very first TpT products and I am so proud of it.  It's very age-appropriate for first graders.  Check it out below.




We've also been learning the oi/oy sounds this week for Phonics.  Here we are practicing an ABC order activity in small groups.  This is from my "Chunking Words Pack," which is loaded with Phonics word chunk activities for the entire year.





For St. Patrick's Day, I carried on my annual tradition of wearing my shamrock scarf!  Isn't it cute?  I found it at Von Maur a few years back.

Our local grocery store has the best bakery and their Irish soda bread is delish!  Mr. Wheeler picked some up for us last night!  What a treat!



Silly McGilly made his final appearance yesterday...and he went out with a bang!  He left us a note, gold coins, and Skittles packs.  It sure has been fun having him in our classroom!  See more HERE.



We worked on a St. Patrick's Day mini-book for a good hour yesterday.  It was so nice to let the kids color and enjoy it without being rushed!  I put on some Irish music for them.  I was able to finish up testing for end of the quarter Reading Levels.  It was glorious!



Get the mini-book bundle and save!  It's growing so the price will go up!


Have a great weekend!
xo
Megan



4 comments:

Lauren @ Teaching in Stripes said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The French Link meet up looked so fun! So many people posted fun, fun pictures. So glad that you had a great time! :)

ithappenedin3rd said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Irish soda bread...yum! I love teaching poetry, too.

Christy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've loved seeing all the meet up pics! That 80's party looked so much fun!!
Your St. Patrick's Day Mini Book looks GREAT! I'm gonna check that out! :)
Mrs.Christy’s Leaping Loopers

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so bummed that I missed the French Lick meet-up. I was on spring break with the family. I love your shamrock scarf, adorable!The Teacher Bag 

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!