Monday, November 23, 2015

Fishing for Sight Words

High interest and spiral review are two things I keep in mind when finding or creating literacy center materials for my first graders.  Each week, I have 5 centers:  sight word center, listening center, computer center, and two word work centers.  I try to theme out the centers with the holidays/special days as much as possible.  Last week, I introduced a fun new sight word center:  fishing for sight words.  To make a fishing center you will need the following:  blue fabric, fish cut-outs, paper clips, and fishing poles.  I had been using old fishing poles that I made many moons ago with dowel rods and magnets but this year I decided to up my game and buy some actual fishing poles from Lakeshore Learning!  They are super cute!  To prep the game, just get some fish cut-outs and write the words of your choice on them.  Laminate and cut.  Add a paperclip.  Sprinkle on the blue fabric {pond} for added fun!  Kids take turns "fishing" for words and reading the words aloud in sentences. Easy center!  Not feeling like prepping your own fish?  I created a pre-made set for you with the Fry's First 100 sight words!  Fish cards are coded by lists 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d.  Just print, laminate, and cut. The pack also includes recording sheets.  Click the cover below to check it out!









To see more fun sight word activities, click the photo below!


xo
Megan

1 comments:

Sharon said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I do this in my classroom as well. Instead of using a paperclip on each fish, staple each fish. They still work with the fishing poles but you don't have the problem of the paperclips getting mixed up.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!