Friday, September 11, 2015

5 for Friday 9.11.15

Hello, Everyone.  It's Friday and I'm back for 5 for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching.  I am glad it's Friday but every year on 9.11, I can't help but feel a deep sadness about what happened 14 years ago. It still seems like it was just yesterday.  For those of you directly affected, I am keeping you in my thoughts today.




I do teach my first graders about 9.11/Patriot Day, because it's history and I feel that when presented at an age-appropriate level, it is ok.  We began with a "Hero" anchor chart.  We came up with all the things we could think about for a hero {can-have-are}.  After, we read Hero Dad.  We decided that our original thoughts of hero didn't necessarily match what a hero truly was.  This led to good discussion.  We also read books about fire fighters and police officers.  We made cards for our local fire department.  All of this led nicely into our 9.11 discussion.  We have a Power Point that my teammate made and we share that and discuss what happened in kid-appropriate language.  They always have a lot of questions.  We colored some pages in remembrance as well.  You can get them from Seusstastic HERE.  Simply Kinder has a little freebie HERE, also.  Today, we'll be eating red, white, and blue Popsicles and painting flags in honor of America and all the lives lost.




Last night I went to Walgreen's for *Clorox Wipes.*  Their school supplies were 70% off......'Nuff said.

PS-I'm super excited to try the "Power Lines" markers from Crayola!!!




We had a cookout last weekend for Labor Day with my family.  I was so excited to see everyone, especially my cutie niece!  She is almost 16 months old and is walking, so it's really fun to see her!



We started centers!  I actually think we started last week, but I can't keep track of much right now! We are re-doing our guest room, having a garage sale, going out of town to celebrate my dad's birthday, and having hubby's mom in town from California all THIS WEEKEND!  Ahh!  Anyhow, centers are going amazingly well!  We began with my "Back to School BBQ" center pack...full of simple back to school centers {beginning sounds, syllables, sight words, color words, and much more!}.  We also had our first sight word center, which is "Just My Type."  It was a HIT!  Check both out below.





*My centers are bundled to save you money.  There are a year's worth of monthly/holiday centers included.


I'm having an online Stella and Dot show in a few weeks and you don't want to miss it!  I love jewelry and am obsessed with all things S & D.  If you join the party by clicking HERE, you'll be entered to win lots of free jewelry, TpT products, and TpT gift certificates!  Be there or be square!


Have a great weekend, friends!
xo
Megan 

1 comments:

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love those giant pencil erasers you found! I went to Target and searched all the BTS clearance, but didn't think to search Walgreens. I'll have to head there today!

Katie at Creative After Bedtime

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!