Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Non fiction

In between all the craziness of multiple snow days and delays, we managed to start non fiction text features in class.  We began with a book walk.  I went through my entire classroom library {eek!} and pulled all the non fiction books that I could find.  I gave each of my 5 tables a stack to browse. After about 3-4 minutes, I rang my classroom bell to signal the kids to rotate to the next table.  I wanted them to be able to see all of the books.  After the kids went to all 5 tables, they came to the carpet and we made a poster of all the things they saw in their books.  I wanted to do this to clear up any misconceptions that all non fiction books are about animals.  I feel like a lot of kids have that misconception.  







I told the class that we'd be learning about how to read non fiction as well as learning about the parts of non fiction in the coming weeks.  I passed out their non fiction notebooks and let them color their covers/write their names on the front and look through the book.


The next day, we began diving into the text features.  I started with photographs because I think that's the easiest.  I showed a cover and we discussed the difference between an illustration/picture and photograph.  I found a great Brain Pop Jr. video about taking photographs that we watched.  We glued a photograph {just a photocopy of one that I had made prior} into our notebooks for the first page.  




As the week progressed, we learned about Table of Contents and Types of Print.  We'll continue working through our notebooks this week.  So far, this unit of study has been a hit with the kids!  We will be starting non fiction writing soon.  If you'd like to check out the non fiction notebook pack or the non fiction writing pack, you can do so below.  Have a great day!




**Click here to see both bundled to save you some cash!**


xo
Megan 
 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!