Saturday, May 17, 2014

Bright Ideas: Classroom Sounds


I love using sounds for transitions in the classroom!  They are a way to gain students attention without shouting.  In my classroom, I use 3 sounds:

Chimes--This is how I call my kids to the carpet.  Every time.  I don't say a word; I just ding the chimes.  If I am across the room and I want the kids to come to the carpet, I ask a student to ring the chimes for me.  I purchased my chimes about 8 years ago, from a local lady whose husband makes them, but I have seen them on Amazon.


School bell-- I use my bell when I want the kids to clean up centers, quiet reading, inside recess, or any games/activities we may be doing in class.  Again, I do not say a peep; I just ring the bell.


Push bell--I use this when I'd like kids to come to the front of the room.  This is a nice option to have, because sometimes I {and they} get tired of sitting on the carpet.  We come to the front of the room when we are watching a Brain Pop, or doing something on my large white board.



I have found these transitions to be instrumental {no pun intended} in making my days smooth.  They are great for auditory learners and save you a lot of unnecessary talking/raising your voice!


If you enjoyed this post, please consider following me on Facebook, Instagram, and Teachers Pay Teachers.
xo
Megan


4 comments:

Mrs. Wathen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the idea of using a different sound for each direction/activity:) Super idea!

Tammy
The Resourceful Apple

Kelly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is such a terrific idea to use different instruments for each instrution! It would really save my voice! Thanks for the idea! : )
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Lori said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

One of our first grade teachers has the chimes. I love the sound of them!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love quiet sounds for transition! Going to add the hand bell to my rotation this year! Great idea!
Laura
Peace, Love, and First Grade

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!