Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Little Green Witch

3 weeks until Halloween!  Halloween is always a fun time at school {minus the fact that the kids are off the chain crazy the days before and after...}!  Speaking of Halloween, let's talk candy for just a moment...how early do you buy your candy?  I typically hoard it if I find a great deal.  I'm a big couponer and have a stockpile in my basement, so if the candy is cheap, I load up on it and TRY to avoid opening it until trick-or-treat night...I heard about Kroger's 1-day candy sale this past Thursday so I grabbed my coupon binder and my husband and we went shopping!  We got 12 bags of candy for under $16.00.  It was a great deal!  I've had willpower not to open any of the bags.  We shall see how long that lasts!



As I was looking through my Halloween books, I came across one of my favorite Halloween picture books, The Little Green Witch.  We JUST SO HAPPENED to be using The Little Red Hen last week, with short e, so naturally I wanted to tie in the witch book!  I got to work and created a book companion pack to go with.  It was lots of fun!  We started by learning some new vocabulary words! The kids loved finding out what the words meant!  My heart melted {and I was dying with laughter inside} later in the day when I overheard one little peanut say to another: "Do I reek?"  I feel like I smell today.  Bahahahah!!!



Next we read the story {we were so excited to hear our new words pop up throughout!}.  The kids were also super excited to hear that the story was VERY SIMILAR to The Little Red Hen books we'd been reading!  After we did the character/setting page.


The next day, we made a Venn Diagram comparing Little Red Hen to Little Green Witch.  I forgot to snap a picture of the poster!  Dang!


Later in the week, we re-read the book and did a little written response.  We also made our own "Little Green Witches."  They turned out so cute!




I wish we would have had time to do ALL the fun activities in this pack, but we simply ran out of time!  I hope you'll take a moment to check it out.  It's on sale through the weekend!


*For a fun, witch Math freebie, click below!  We'll be playing 10-frame war next week!

xo
Megan

1 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!