Sunday, May 4, 2014

Prep for Next Year

As the year winds down, I begin thinking about next year.  It's so difficult to juggle both at once, but it's a must for a smooth classroom setup in the fall!  Here's how I stay on top of things:

1.  I make a running "Prep for Next Year" list.

2.  I make a running "Wish List" of things I'd like to have for my classroom for the next year.  I try to keep it under $100, since I have to buy everything myself.


So far, I have the following on my list:

  • Sand Timers Set {Lakeshore Learning}--the possibilities are endless with these!  I will definitely be using them with my Fry Flippers fluency cards!



  • Math Manipulatives {Lakeshore Learning}--I would DIE for this entire set, but since I can't afford it all, I'll settle for a few new tubs of manipulatives!  When I started teaching 10 years ago, the manipulatives were hand-me-downs, and I'd like some new ones!



3.  I print master copies and have my copy mom begin copying things for me.  Earlier in the week, I had the copy mom copy pages for my Student Data Binders.  My principal usually has the binders and pockets ordered and here before school lets out, so I typically assemble the binders before leaving school for the summer.  It makes fall so much less stressful!




UPDATE: This year, I created behavior calendars.  They are included in the data binder pack for the upcoming school year!  You can also opt to buy them separately...and they are EDITABLE! 




I also printed my "Makin' Memories: A Memory Book" pages for the whole year! *We just completed our April page...how cute is this little bunny!?



I printed things for my kids' Writing folders.  I get these assembled prior to leaving for summer vacation.



4.  I go through my Monthly File Boxes and purge.  I decide which things I can get rid of.  I judge this by if I've used it the previous year.  This allows room for new things!  Click here to see what's inside of those boxes!



I think about re-organization...I constantly think about this...how can I better organize my classroom and supplies to make the year go even more smoothly?

All in all, this planning ahead makes me A MANIAC in the spring, but it's well worth it when I'm relaxing by the beach or pool in the summer!  Do you plan ahead like this?  Do you prefer to "deal with it in the fall?"


20 days!!!
xo
Megan 

4 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm like you and I need to deal with as much of it as I can now...or I will forget what I need to do!! We're encouraged to use our district's "Print Shop" to send in our copy orders because it's cheaper than doing it on the school copier, but they don't want us to send in anything for next year that might eat up this year's budget. It is making me crazy because I have SO many things to copy for next year already!!

Breanne

Lori Trainor said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You just gave me a ton of wonderful prep ideas. I am lucky because I have a full time aide in my classroom, so I am going to get her started next week on preparing some of these wonderful ideas. Thanks!!

Mrs. Beattie's Classroom said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm glad I'm not the only one who starts prepping for next year before the current year is over!! I LOVE walking out knowing that lots of the "little things" are already finished. I just may have to get my lunch helpers to start putting some things together for me as well! ;)

Enjoy your final weeks!
~Erin
Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

Kelly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great Post! I always try get things like pages for my homework folders, printed ahead of time. I also like to go ahead and get labels on journals for the next year. It sure is nice to not have to deal with it at the beginning of the year. I usually save my purging for summer. I keep all of my files at home, don't ask me why I do that...I don't know! HA
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!