Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Keeping it all Together...

Hi everyone!  Thanks to all of you that purchased my "Makin' Memories Scrapbook!"  It sounds like you are as excited about it as I am!  If you missed it, be sure to check it out!  Did everyone enjoy the holiday weekend? I did! We ended up cooking out...in the rain.  It's been rainy or cloudy for the past 11 or so days in wonderful Ohio (I think I mentioned this in a previous post...it's obviously getting on my last nerve!). Below are a few photos from our celebration!  That's me on the left and my sis-in-law, Kim from Carried Away in...K!  I painted my nails for the occasion and found some festive chips for a snack!  We didn't end up going to watch any fireworks because it was yucky out.  But then again, we never really go watch fireworks.  Who am I kidding!? We stayed in and watched a scary movie instead.  Which I won't talk about. Because it scares me just thinking about it.


Ok onto the meat and potatoes!  I've gained some great new followers over the past few months and today I wanted to give the new readers a chance to see a product that I love!  It's my Student Data Binder and Take Home Binder.  This is something that has been a God-send for my students, families, and I over the past 8 years.  It's evolved every year and I think I finally have it to where I want it.  Ready to hear about it?


Basically, this is a "take home" folder and data keeper in one.  The students put things they need to take home and return to school in it, and they also keep track of how they are progressing in Reading, Writing, and Math.  It goes home every night and is returned to school every day.  We update our binders about once a week or as tests arise.  The students do a fantastic job of updating (with my assistance, of course) and remembering to bring their binders back to school every day.  I believe in 8 years of using this system, I've only had one or two students lose the binder completely.

Students track all sorts of things in their binders.  I've included tons of choices for you in this pack, which is geared towards K-4.  Below are the areas that are included:

  • Reading level growth
  • AR scores
  • Behavior calendars & notes
  • Spelling scores
  • Math chapter tests
  • Times tests
  • Writing portfolio & rubrics
  • Reading logs
  • Parent communication log
In addition to the above data components, you also get sticky labels and full-page printable labels for every category.  You choose which method you'd like to use when setting up the binder.  There's also a parent letter and lots of tips for getting your binders all set up.  

I am fortunate enough to have my administrator purchase the binders for my students.  If this is not an option for you, you could ask students to bring a binder with a clear cover or ask for donations.  I also know that during back to school time, you can get binders pretty reasonably.  

These binders serve as fantastic tools of reference during parent meetings and conferences.  If you are someone who does student-led conferences, these binders make conferences simple for kids to go over their data with their families.  Questions?  Email me at meganwheeler44@yahoo.com  If you'd like to see more about setting binders up, please click here to see a prior post.  Thanks for stopping by!

xo
Megan 

1 comments:

Kimberly Ann said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm not a big firework watcher either! The hubby and I sat on our deck and watched some but got bored after a few minutes haha! LOVE your cute nails! :)

Kimberly Ann
Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!