Thursday, September 29, 2011

Silent Reading Stations

I love silent reading time! I think it should be illegal for teachers not to include at least 20 minutes of uninterrupted reading time each day! Over the past 9 years, I have tried various things for silent reading time and last year, my trials evolved to this (pardon the glare):

Each day, students go to a different spot for silent reading.  On the day that students "Read with Mrs. Wheeler," before we read together, they can trade out their books in their baggies.  *NOTE: Each student has 6 books in their bag.  They select the books they want, based on their personal interest, from our classroom library.  I firmly believe that if students have a choice for reading, they will become more interested in it, and thus become stronger readers. . For awhile, everything was "levels;" it made me crazy.  My students get leveled text in reading groups, as well as in their take home data binders each night.
The students do well in their stations and I rarely have problems.  The visual helps them see where to go for the day, and they can also plan out where they will be the following day.  It's quick and easy for me...I just rotate the name cards down.  It also gives me a great opportunity to read with every student every week.  To purchase my library labels, click here!!  I have 3 color schemes available.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!