Monday, December 30, 2019

Christmas in the Classroom

Hi, friends!  It's hard to believe that Christmas is over!  I am so sad!  I had intentions of posting this a few weeks ago, but man, those 3 weeks in between Thanksgiving and Christmas were INTENSE!  We went to California for Christmas.  Mr. Wheeler's family lives out there and we go there every other year.  On the years when we go, we celebrate with my family the second week of December.  So, all of my family's gifts have to be purchased and ready for that.  It's always a mad dash to get everything ready! 

I had some pictures of Christmas things that we did in class ready (although it wasn't much because we use so many box curriculum's now and have to "keep going"), so I figured I would go ahead and post them now, even though they are totally irrelevant now.  Perhaps you will see something you can pin  on your Pinterest boards for next year!  Hope your Christmas was fabulous! 


We did just two art projects in December.  The first were these elves.  They were a lot of work!  The day we did them, we were SUPER pressed for time.  I shouldn't have tried to do them given the amount of time I had to work with.  They didn't' turn out like they were supposed to...I think they kind of look like pigs.  LOL!  The ears didn't stick to the plates, so if I do it again in future years,  I will use tape for them. 


The other project that we did were these reindeer profile projects.  I love how they turned out and will definitely be adding them into my Christmas craft rotation.  I actually had a sub do them with my kids because I took a personal day one Friday in December.


We played trick word BINGO a few times and used Christmas mini-erasers (always a fun way to incorporate something seasonal!). 


Many of our centers were Christmas-themed.  This one shown below is a *FREEBIE* in my TpT shop.  Click the cover below to download it.


I incorporated some Christmas coloring pages into my Early Finisher Board activities!  If you aren't familiar with the Early Finisher Board, you can check it out by clicking the cover below.



For a parent gift, I had my kids create craft stick Christmas tree ornaments.  In the past, I would have had my kids do these all by hand, but I came across a girl on Instagram (@loftydots) who preps the ornaments so all your kids have to do is paint and decorate.  Brilliant and such a time-saver! 


First, the kids painted their trees green.  Then, they painted on a thin layer of glue.  Last, they added decorations like pom-poms and self-stick gems.  ***Next year, we will add the glitter LAST...having it on first made it really hard for the gems to stick and I ended up having to go back and glue them on at the last minute because they were falling off.  Overall, I think the ornaments turned out super cute!  I hope the parents liked them.





We had a 1/2 day the day before break began, so we didn't have a holiday party.  Instead, we let the kids vote on a movie to watch and split the kids as a grade level.  We also played Christmas BINGO and made a holiday trail mix.  Super easy.  I gave my kids a book (Scholastic $1) and a candy cane and called it a day.  They were happy with it!  No one asked about a party and I didn't mention it!


xo
Megan 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!