Monday, September 15, 2014

Number Sense

Ahhhh, the beginning of the year.  Time to review all skills.  ASAP.   So much to do, so little time to do it in!  I find that if I don't spend the first month or so of school reviewing all things numbers with my kids, Math will be a big, fat, epic fail.  I like to ensure that my kids...

1. know their numbers
2. know number order
3. can compare two numbers

Here are some things I've been doing to help my kiddos be successful with these skills:

Teen Numbers Poems-We all know how tricky those teen numbers can be!  I made these posters a few years ago.  The kids and I both love singing these!



Videos-We love Harry Kindergarten Music number videos on Youtube.  The teen numbers one is great and also the big numbers song is, too!


Number Line-We've been counting up and back on my new velcro number line from Lakeshore Learning.  I love the little frogs that came with it--perfect for "hopping" up and back!



Slate Review-Practicing number writing on our dry erase slates...always fun and interesting to see number formation!  I love how one child was helping another child who was struggling!!!



Quick Checks-We took a few quick check assessment quizzes {from my volume 1 set} to monitor progress.




New Games-One addition to help with number sense that I've been really excited about is my "Math Games on the Fly" pack!  This has tons of great review games for beginning first graders as well as games for later in the year!  These are handy for in class review, supplementing your curriculum, sending home for extra practice, or using for early finishers/center work.  We've been playing some of these games and they are a HIT!






Take Home Games-I've just started sending home games from my "Math Take Home Game Bags" pack!  The kids and their families enjoyed their first game!  This set is a great way to make school-to-home connections.




Books-I tie in literature whenever I can!  We've read lots of good number books.  Below are some of my favorites:

  • Mouse Count
  • Who Stole the Cookies
  • City Numbers
  • 10 Black Dots
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Fish Eyes 
  • Boom Chicka Rock
Although we haven't yet started Math Tubs, we will soon!  Baby steps!

I'll be back later in the week to share what we're up to now in Math!  Happy weekend, friends!

xo
Megan 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!