Saturday, September 6, 2014

Citizenship

As I've mentioned in other posts, I like to spend the first month of school really going over routines and expectations.  I also spend a large chunk of time on character and just being a good citizen.  One way that I do this in through read-alouds.  Last year, I posted a link to a list of citizenship books.  I read just about every book on the list.  Below are some activities we've done using the books over the past two weeks.

We read Don't Squeal Unless it's a BIG Deal.  We completed a sort together.  By the end, the kids were really able to verbalize big vs. little deals.  These types of situations have been coming up in class a lot lately, and all I have to say is, "Is this a big deal or little deal?" and the kids respond.  It's awesome!



We read Lacey Walker, Non-stop Talker and made a web about what a good listener would be doing.  I threw in some "wild" cards to try and trick the kids.  If the cards didn't below on our web, I crumpled them up!


We read Elmer and talked about what it means to be unique and special.  We made our own Elmer's.  Our school has some old manila grid paper and we traced the elephants on the back of it and then colored/cut them out.  They turned out so cute!






We read Manners on the School Bus and discussed appropriate bus behavior.  We also watched a bus safety video, did a little writing, and made Mrs. Cupcake's bus craft.






We read My Mouth is a Volcano and completed a fun craft from Susan Jones to go with it!





The activities above & many more can be found in my "First Grade Back to School Activities" pack! Click the photo below to check it out.


xo
Megan 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!