Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Place Value

A few months ago, I introduced place value to my students.   My blocks were ready and organized in containers that I found at the dollar store.  I also found some great base-10 labels for free from Frogs and Cupcakes blog!  I have had these labels forever but haven't used them.  I still need to glue them to the top of the containers.  #thissummer





I began my lesson with a "Mystery Bag," where I had some clues about our learning inside.  I had: a Moby and Annie Brain Pop Jr. picture along with the base-10 blocks and words.  The kids had to guess what our new unit was.  This is a great way to introduce a new lesson!



We got right to it with our manipulatives and place value mats.  Concrete learning is key with place value! As the kids practiced on their mats, I demonstrated on the board with my giant magnetic base-10 blocks.  I purchased the magnetic blocks several years ago and they are seriously one {if not the} best Math product I have!  Click the pic below to check them out!

                                                                         


In addition to my large, magnetic blocks, I also used pool noodles, which I cut up into "tens" and "ones."  The kids loved helping make numbers with these!  So simple, yet so engaging!




To end our lesson, we reviewed with a fun Brain Pop Jr. clip on place value.  Brain Pop Jr. is a fantastic resource for any K-2 classroom!

Throughout the week, we'll be using activities from my "Place Value Games on the Fly," which is available by itself or in a bundle with all my other Math "On the Fly" games!!!  Click below to check them out!



I also have a "Place Value" pack, which is great for whole-group, small groups, and/or RTI.  Check it out below!


If you'd like a copy of the introduction idea/cards, click here!  *The mats are part of my Double-Digit Without Regrouping Pack.  Enjoy!

xo
Megan


5 comments:

Karyn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I use those same containers for my base ten blocks! Love them! Love your introductory activity! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Mrs. Leeby said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for sharing the intro idea cards. This is such a fun activity!
xo
Learning With Mrs. Leeby

Kelly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love your mystery bag introduction! Do you do this with all of your math units? Thanks for the freebie!!!
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Karen F. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love all your ideas!! would love to pin this post but I am not seeing a way.. am I just missing it?
Karen
tommysmom0206@yahoo.com

Firstie Favorites said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just stumbled across your blog. I love your base 10 ideas! :)

I am new to the blogging world and I am promoting my blog by offering a free product from my TPT store to all of my new followers. I would love for you to check it out at Firstie Favorites.

I need to spend more time reading your blog as well... WOW.... so many great ideas!!

Take care,
Nicole

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!