Sunday, March 2, 2014

2-Digit Addition Without Re-Grouping

My kids know their facts very well and are excellent with place value, so I decided it was time for double-digit addition!  In first grade, the Common Core Standard expects them to add two digit numbers within 100 without re-grouping using a variety of strategies.

I began by direct instruction.  Sometimes you just have to do it that way.  Not every lesson lead can be a dog and pony show!  I introduced my little poster, we discussed the tens and ones, and we got to work practicing with our base-10 mats and blocks.  I always start Math lessons in a concrete way for my little ones.  *I'm obsessed with my giant magnetic base-10 blocks that I got a few years ago.  Click the link/image for Amazon below to check them out!





Throughout the week, we continued to practice this concept.  We played a fun board game, where I allowed students to use their number grids and dry erase slates if needed.  This was great because I could walk around and see who was able to mentally solve the 2-digit facts.  I also had some who were choosing to draw pictures vs. using their number grids.  In centers, the kids had fun using my mini-slates and matching the facts to the sums.







We'll be doing a quick check of this skill next week!  We'll also be playing "Scoot!"

Everything mentioned above {Scoot, Center, Quick Check Assessment, Board Game, Place Value Mat and Poster} is all included in my "Double Dipped: Double Digit Without Re-Grouping" pack!  Click below to sneak a peak!


Have a sweet day!  I'll be staying warm and cozy inside, preparing for the millionth winter storm this year...

xo
Megan 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!