Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Truth Mon: Fitness

Hi everyone! I know it's Tuesday and I am a day late to the party!  But last night I was cranking out report cards!  I am linking up with Denise over at Sunny Days in Second Grade for her new series, "MY TRUTH MONDAY."  These posts are a series that will help you get to know me a little better.  I feel like blogging is always about classroom activities, so why not spice it up and share a bit more about myself!?



This week's post is all about one of my most favorite hobbies: fitness!  Hooray!  I just love working out.  I grew up in a small town in Ohio.  We didn't have a lot of options for gyms.  I remember joining "Body Genics" {anyone remember that?} back in the early 90's with my 80 year old grandma.  *Sidebar: I think I inherited the fitness gene from her!  I just loved going and continued on all through high school.  When I got to college, I was blown away at the university's workout facilities!  That made me love working out even more!  Maybe I took it to a slight extreme.  I feel like my personality is somewhat of an extremist...I take things to ridiculous levels for some reason.  I think deep down I have a fear of people thinking I am lazy so I work like a maniac.  This is true for school, housework, and exercising.  Anyways, back to my fitness craze. After college, I put on some weight my first year of teaching because let's face it, we tend to put our jobs before us.  It was really hard to find a balance and time for exercising that first year.  My second year I was engaged so I was at the gym for two hours every.single.day.  I whittled away but looked great in my dress.

In the summer of 2010, I began taking a class at the gym called "Turbo Kick."  It's pretty much amazing. Some of you have heard me talk about it before.  It's cardio kick boxing with sweet music!  I go twice a a week.  No exceptions.  It forces me to leave work at 4:00 and I'm fine with that.  My instructor noticed that I was dedicated and good {gasp!} at the routines and suggested I got certified to teach.  So I did, in the fall of 2012.  I have subbed a little but haven't taken the plunge to teach the class full time, simply because of time.  Maybe someday!



I've had setbacks over the years, as we all have.  What I haven't done is let them last long.  I take a few days and get right back to it.  Consistency is the key.  I NEED to workout to keep my sanity.  Plus, I LOVE it!

I am not the paper-thin wafer that I was in college or on my wedding day.  What I am is a strong, healthy woman who is not afraid to be muscular.  It empowers me.




Link up to share your fitness truth!


xo
Megan 

3 comments:

Christa Swaney said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Turbo Kick sounds so fun! I take some pretty fun classes from this trainer I work out with. I love it!!! We do a Tae bo kick box! It's the best feeling to get your butt kicked and see results. I love the fact that as I am in my forties I have muscles that I never knew existed!!!

Christa
sweetlifeofsecondgrade

Mrs. Choudhary said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

*clap clap clap!!!* Yay Megan! What a great post about you! You are truly such an inspiration to so many!

katie choudhary :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You make working out sound so fun! :) I'm totally NOT a workout person...but I admire those who are! :) Thanks for sharing your truth! :) Looking forward to future posts from you on this linky! ;)
XOXO,
Tamara

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!