Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Writing Workshop: Common Core

Ok...NOT REALLY! But...here are some basics when it comes to writing workshop.  Many of you have emailed me asking for tips and ways to get the workshop up and running in your classroom.  This is a very quick version of how to begin!!

Note: I am sharing with you what works for me.  This is after 7 years of trial and error.  I have been running a very smooth writing workshop for about 4 years now, and hope that you will find these ideas helpful in implementing your own workshop.  If you are interested in the resources that I use, please check out my Writing Workshop Start up Kit.  It is geared towards first grade, but a second grade classroom could benefit as well.  The new Common Core standards state that students must be able to: write narratives in which they recount two or more appropriately sequenced events, include some details regarding what happened, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide some sense of closure.

Prior to beginning, we web all the ways we can use writing and discuss why it's important.  Next, I do a think-aloud where I talk about things I COULD write about vs what I SHOULD write about.  I make it very clear that in our classroom, we write about real things that have happened to us.  *And I have been known to call someone out if they even try and make up something that happened! Me: "Oh, really, you went to Hawaii last night?" Student: "Yes." Me (walking towards the phone): "Oh, ok.  So I guess I will go and call you mom and ask her."  Student: "Well.....I didn't really go there."

WEEK 1
Mini-lessons:

  • I do TONS of modeling, thinking out loud, writing.  (see photo below) I do not spell words incorrectly.  While it's important to model stretching words, I prefer they are spelled the correct way so the students can see how they really look. 


  • I always keep my mini-lessons quick and to the point (no more than 7 minutes).  I end my mini with modeling a "turn and talk."  Students turn to a friend and share their idea for a story.  Off they go to their seats to write. *I do not let them color until after they have written words and sketched a picture. 
Independent Writing time:

  • Prior to beginning, I really make a huge deal about how serious writing time is.  I expect the room to be at its quietest during writing.  Students are allowed to whisper if they are discussing their stories.  During the first week or two, I float during independent writing time, pointing out "smart things" that students are doing (capital letters, thinking of an idea and putting it on the paper, etc..)  I only expect about 5-7 minutes of independent work time at this point. As students "finish" a piece, they are allowed to add to an old story's picture, add to an old story's words or get another paper and start a new story about a different topic.  I have paper trays in my room and the students are trained to get up and get paper without asking or telling me. *I introduce the following anchor chart pretty early in the year and refer back to it every day. 


After the workshop share:
  • Early in the year, I choose 2 students to share what they have worked on that day.  *It does not matter if they are finished with their story or not.  They show what they have worked on, and tell about their plans for tomorrow. 
WEEK 2
Mini-lessons:
  • I continue to do lots of modeling, thinking aloud and writing.  However, I choose one skill that I want students to work on (don't overdo it!!), such as spacing, a capital letter at the beginning, etc...This is my main focus for the week (or longer, depending on how they do).  
Independent writing time:
  • If my class is ready, this is when I begin conferring with 1-2 students per day.  I prefer to keep a composition notebook, with a page for each student.  I work 1-on-1 with the student during his/her conference, and other children know not to interrupt.  The notebook is nice because I just flip a page and move onto the next student the next day.  I am sure to hit all my kids each week.  I make notes about what the student does well, and give lots of praise.  I also note something that we worked on together.  I always tell the student what they could improve on...BUT I am careful to only choose one thing (handwriting, stretching words, spacing, etc..)
After the workshop share:
  • Early in the year, I choose 2 students to share what they have worked on that day.  *It does not matter if they are finished with their story or not.  They show what they have worked on, and tell about their plans for tomorrow. 
If you like what you see, be sure to check out my Writing Workshop Bundle shown below.  If you prefer, you can buy each unit individually, but the bundle saves you $12.00!


  xo
Megan 

4 comments:

Laurie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is how my writer's workshop looks. It's tough in the beginning but once they understand the routine, it's great. I've been trying the "Quiet Ten" this year and it seems to settle them into writing.

I do have questions for you! Do you pick their topics at the beginning of the year or do you allow them to pick? Also do you have writer's notebooks or do you have books made up for them to write in?

Thanks!!

Laurie
http://firstgradelyonsden.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Wheeler said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Laurie! I do not pick their topics. I stress that writers write about what is important to THEM. I do not have writer's notebooks. I give them single sheets for the first 2 weeks or so of school. If someone runs out of room, they ask and I will staple a new page to the back. As the weeks progress, I put out a variety of paper and the students choose which one is best for them. I usually steer my struggling writers towards the 2-3 lines and my higher writers towards the many-lined paper.

Tracy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Writing workshop is my weakness. I am really giving it my all this year. I THINK my issue was I would do too much in a mini lesson. This past week I am just focusing on ideas and getting them down. I HOPE to get to thjos mini-lessons on caps and such in the next week or two. Thanks so much for all you have posted and please keep all you terrific ideas coming...

Wendy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much for sharing your plans with us! could you tell me how many minutes you spend daily on WW and how many days a week? Also- how many minilessons do you do in one session? thanks for your help!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!