Sunday, August 7, 2011

Interactive Word Wall

This past year, I tried an interactive word wall with my kids.  It was amazing! I introduced the entire wall (although some may argue it's 'not appropriate to do so') at once, and did not have any trouble.  I did lots of modeling, and included "word hunts" into my Writing Workshop mini-lessons at least once a week; even more often at the beginning of the year.

So here's how it works: students are writing and need to know how to spell a sight word.  Instead of having them search through a bazillion words posted up high and out of their reach (my previous word wall!), they identify the first sound and walk to it.  Surprisingly, most of the time, they find the correct word.  Obviously, some students need help with a few clues ("It's on a blue card, has 3 letters, etc...)  Once they have the word, they remove it (all words have magnet tape on the back), take it to their seats and copy it onto their paper.  Then, they put the word back.

Towards the middle of the year, my students were really knowing how to spell their sight words automatically! Some of my high students would still use the word wall, and I would allow it, because it gave them an opportunity to move around and take a break during Writing Workshop. 

I absolutely love this interactive word wall! It really has helped my students, and I hope that you have a chance to set one up yourself!

*NOTE: The majority of the word cards came from a 4 Blocks set that I got my first year of teaching...they have lasted 8 years! I used to use the 4 Blocks list.  However, as time has gone on, my building went to Fry's words, so all the words you see on the wall are Fry's 1st grade words...I had to make some of my own cards.  It is very easy to do on Word or Powerpoint.  I made my own headers, as well. 


2 comments:

Kim said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love your library! I use an interactive word wall too and love it! The students really do go get the cards off the wall to help them spell. They read it during daily 5 and practice with each other. You blogged about my two favorite things! I always enjoy reading your blog! THANKS!
Kim SaylorsLog

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How do you outline the words like that so that they are "blocks"?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!