Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Sticks!

Last week, we read a classic children's book...The Big Snow.  For a Math activity afterwards, we made "snow sticks." Your children should have some background in non-standard measurement prior to completing this idea.  My class has been doing things with non-standard measurement all year, so the project went very smoothly.  Here's simple directions on how to make these.

1. Gather enough paint sticks for your class.
2. Put students' names on the back with a sharpie.
3. Students paint one side of their stick white.
4. Once sticks are dry, students use unifix cubes to measure 1-inch marks on their sticks.  *NOTE: Model this very explicitly. 
5. Once they finished all their markings (I told them to go to 10), they drew on a face.
6. I passed out sharpies for the students to trace their marks/numbers/faces.
7. Finally, add felt for a scarf, beads, poms, chenille sticks, hats, etc...for "snow clothing." *I did this part myself with a hot glue gun as the students watched "The Snowy Day."  I had them pick out their earmuff colors. 

I did not get bogged down with "perfect" measurements...as long as everyone tried, that was fine by me (let's face it, manipulating a small unifex cub on a narrow paint stick isn't the easiest for even an adult!).  For the most part, no one really needed a lot of assistance. 

The kids loved their snow sticks! Good thing we did them last week! We were finished just in time for a huge snow storm yesterday! I am hoping they went out to measure the snowfall!


5 comments:

Ms.M said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very creative. I like it. :)

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Shannon Langston said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love it!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Megan,
I just found your blog and it is fantastic! I LOVE that you use paint sticks for this!!!!!! What a great idea! I wish I would have found your blog sooner- we are currently on snow day number 5! :)
Also, I'm very jealous/impressed at your amazing organized and beautiful library area. Mine isn't that pretty yet. :(
With all this time at the house from snow days, I have started a teaching blog!
Check it out here:

http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com

Danielle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so excited to do this activity. I have to make rulers with my k's and I've been dreading do it and even put it off but this is a great way for them to see that there we are counting the units when we measure and still make it something they want to do! Thank you for sharing!
Danielle
learningandlaughing.blogspost.com

Sarah said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We just made these and they are adorable!! Thank you so much for the idea! Since we finally have some snow, I think we will go outside and measure it together! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!