Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy Fall with Even and Odd!

Teaching even and odd can be pretty boring....I like to use the following picture books to reinforce this concept:

-Even Steven and Odd Todd (fiction)
-Bears Odd, Bears Even (fiction)
-The Missing Mitten (fiction)
-Odd and Even Socks (nonfiction)
-Odd and Even Numbers (nonfiction)

We also use this fall leaf game.  Ahead of time, make several large trees.  I laminate them and use dry erase marker to write "Even and Odd." (that way the game can be used for other activities throughout the year)  Using ellison leaf cutouts, write a variety of 1, 2 and 3 digit numbers.  This is a very easy way to make it multi-level.  At first, I put on the leaves and we talk about why they are even or odd.  The next day, I give everyone a leaf and have them come up and place it in the correct spot.  They must tell the class why their number is even or odd. Note: I sort my leaves in bags, so for a quick review, I can give my highest students the 3-digit leaves, my average students the 2-digit leaves, and my strugglers the 1-digit leaves. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!