Friday, August 13, 2021

Setting Up an Organized and Inviting Classroom Library

 Hi, friends!  I'm sure many of you are in full back to school mode, and probably working in your classrooms.  I wanted to get right to it today with sharing tips about my favorite area of the classroom: the library.  There's been much debate over the years about how to set up the library, and at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you and your students.  In addition, your curriculum department may mandate you set up your library a specific way.  However, even if that's the case, you can still create an organized and inviting space for your students.  Below are my top tips.

1.  Build your classroom library by purchasing books at thrift stores, garage sales, and using Scholastic Books points.  


2.  Sort your books into categories based on easy-to-navigate topics.

3.  Label bins with clear and easy-to-read labels (be sure a picture is included for the younger grades!).


4.  Label each book (I know, I know, but you will be so happy you did once they are labeled!) with a sticker on the inside cover (or outside cover if it doesn't bother you!) that matches the bin label.


5.  Make your library an inviting area...add a lamp, some book character stuffed animals, etc...*Notice my animals are not out...this is a photo from last year.  

6.  Establish a book checkout system with your students and introduce it within the first month of the school year.



I'll link my best-selling library labels below.  Just click the cover photo to be taken to my TpT shop.  There are two sizes of bin labels to choose from included, as well as TONS of themes!  I love the crispness of them.  They are visually appealing and easy for kids to see.  Happy organizing!

xo
Megan 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!