Saturday, May 16, 2015

Go Math Objective/Goal Posters

Hi!  This year, we "piloted" Go Math.  It was not really a pilot though.  It was there: here is a stack of books and manuals.  Teach this starting next week.  It was rough.  I hated it at first and I still don't really love it.  The lessons are so boring.  I feel like the kids are just robots, spitting out answers and strategies.  No time for games once I cover the content for the day.  I am a game-fanatic so Math is bumming me out this year!  If a student doesn't get it, no time to go back and re-teach.  *These things will all be changing next year, bc now I know the program and know what I would do differently.  I WILL say that my kids are very strong in Math.  So this "method of teaching" apparently works.  But it is not fun.

One thing that I did try to improve on this year was stating the objective/goal before each Math lesson.  I have been teaching for 12 years and can never remember to do this.  Please tell me I am not alone. Why is it so hard to remember!?!?!?!?!?  I knew I wanted to have a way to remind myself to do this, so I created "Go Math" objective/goal posters for each lesson.  I placed them in sleeves and into a binder and I just pull out the one I need for each day.  I lay the day's objective inside of my manual so when I open it to the lesson, I whip it out and go over it aloud.  At the end of the lesson, we review what we've learned and discuss how we felt about the lesson.  We also discuss if we met the goal.

The objective/goal posters have the lesson number in the bottom right corner, the common core standard{s} that align with it in the left corner, and the large objective/goal written in an "I Can statement" in the center.  These are very visually appealing and clear so that the students can see them.  Each chapter is color-coded for easy reference.  These objectives are for 1st grade and include chapters 1-12.  If you teach 1st and use Go Math, take a look below!  *More Go Math surprises coming soon!*


Click the cover below to preview these.  They are 20% off through Monday, May 18th only!


 Have a fab weekend!
xo
Megan

5 comments:

Grace Binelo said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We did Go Math this year. We all hated it, students, parents & especially teachers. We are going to change it next year. It was so to complicated to teach, the kids had a hard time getting it, & no review of a previous skill learned. Goodbye Go Math!

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds like you are having fun with the math program. :)
I have taught about the same amt of years and also forget that. I often start with a problem instead "Oh no, I don't know what blah blah means, can you help me?" or "I have to get from this spot to this spot on the # line, how do I do that?" I hear you about the "here is a bunch of info in hard to read manuals...teach it" scenario. Hopefully next year will be better.

Suzanne Jenkins said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Is there a GO Math for Kindergarten? I can't imagine math without fun and games and centers, so if you know of a blogger for K students, I would love to check it out. Thanks- your page was awesome!

Suzanne Jenkins said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Is there a GO Math for Kindergarten? I can't imagine math without fun and games and centers, so if you know of a blogger for K students, I would love to check it out. Thanks- your page was awesome!

April Kreitzer Wolfe said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We just got this program for next year. :(

April
Wolfelicious

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!